Sunday, May 22, 2011

Education

Husby let me pick out a movie tonight. He usually picks because I honestly don't really care about movies most of the time. In fact, I usually almost always fall asleep. When I do pick out a movie, its either going to be a happy movie or a "teacher" movie. Tonight what do I pick? A documentary. I love to watch documentaries. Boring, I know, but I find them interesting, meaningful, and not a waste of 2 hours of my life like other movies. Anyway tonight it was Waiting for Superman.
This is a documentary basically talking about the plight of the public school system and the option of charter schools. Yes, its a "teacher" documentary. So naturally, I would find this interesting.

My view: Yes, we have so many schools across this nation in danger and failing to meet the standards. There are so many arguments about the standards and testing that I could write all day. However, bottom line, we still have schools that aren't matching up. There are teachers passing the buck and not dealing with issues. I am not a teacher yet so I cant say that I will be perfect, and I know I wont be. However, I hope will do my best. There are hoops to jump through and annoying things that teachers have to do.There are things that teachers wish they didn't have to do. I have seen it in my observations and heard teachers talk about things. The legislation, mandates, tests, etc don't make it a breeze but as a teacher, I feel like there is still a responsibility to make the schools the best they can be and give the students the best learning experience they can have no matter what, working with what you have been given.

None of this changes the fact that I want to be a teacher. I want to feel like I am making a difference. I want to be a teacher that cares. None of this changes the fact that I don't want to be one of "those" teachers. I want to be more than "that".

This is what I am called to do. This is what I will do.


On a different note, watching this only reminded me that I was so incredibly blessed with a solid education. My parents had a choice of where to send me and they made excellent choices. I was able to attend good schools my entire life and went to one of the top high schools in my state. I went into school never doubting that I would graduate. I went into high school never doubting that I would college was in my future and I left high school never doubting I would be prepared for college. I am so thankful.

Its not fair to me that some of these families on this documentary were hoping for a little luck through a lottery to attend a good school. This is America, the country of freedom. I don't understand why every child doesnt have the same access to good education. I don't get it, but that's the way it is.

I just hope that whatever school or place I end up in, that I could make the learning meaningful for the one year that student is in my classroom.

I am meant to be a teacher. I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment